Through essays and photos, more than 4,750 small businesses from across the country shared their compelling stories of resilience in a landscape forever changed by COVID-19 and how they met the unique demands of 2021 through promotion.” Small Business Big Wins” presented by Barclays. The top 10 were selected and presented online at BarclaysSmallBizBigWins.com for a public voting period that took place April 13-22.
With hospitals often overwhelmed, Ashland’s Birthing Center has become a safe space for expectant mothers during the pandemic, providing a full range of prenatal, labour, delivery and postpartum services.
“Throughout this pandemic, the small business community has been forced to pivot and adapt during unprecedented times,” said Nancy Parnell, director of American business cards at Barclays. “At Barclays, we know that small businesses are the economic engine of their local communities, and we are honored to share their stories of perseverance and provide financial support to help them continue to thrive.”
The competition was sponsored by the Barclays Business Cards team, which has a long history of supporting business owners of all sizes with its wide range of cards that offer business owners rewards for dollars spent on their business needs. .
In addition to $60,000 grand prize, Barclays rewarded $40,000 to Nordic-Knot from Reston, Virginiafor second place; $20,000 to Superfit Hero from Riverside, California, for third place; and $5,000 to each of the remaining finalists in the top 10. Barclays also awarded 50 contest participants $2,000 each by lot, totaling $255,000 in support of 60 small businesses across the country.
“I am so happy and excited to share this with our staff and our communities,” said savita jones, owner of Ashland Birthing Center. “Our communities did it. They brought us here. Now they’re going to keep us here. We’re going to buy our current building and stay here.”
The full list of finalists includes:
- Ashland Birthing Center – Ashland, Wis. ($60,000): A parent guidance and support service provider that offers a wide range of midwifery services throughout pregnancy, newborn and postpartum childbirth.
- Nordic-Knot – Reston, Virginia ($40,000): A traditional Scandinavian pretzel baker who uses traditional “Nordic” dough to create all-natural, freshly baked, handmade pretzels and works with breweries to create pretzels that pair their signature beers with special grains.
- Superfit Hero – Riverside, California ($20,000): A size-inclusive sportswear company that offers quality plus-size clothing for athletes that also offers full coverage, moisture-wicking technology and a range of compression options.
- Advanced and Innovative Multifunctional Materials LLC (AIMM) – Dayton, Ohio ($5,000): A materials science company and lab focused on water purification and self-disinfecting N95 masks that is also working to develop unique materials with antimicrobial properties.
- BoCa Flavor – Baltimore, Maryland ($5,000): A manufacturer of Caribbean– infused seasoning that takes a modern take on the traditional Caribbean seasoning, fusing staple island ingredients to bring an everyday blend to brighten up the kitchen.
- Flagstaff Doulas – Flagstaff, Arizona ($5,000): A healthcare and social support provider who specializes in guiding and assisting new parents, helping them deal with the questions and decisions many face before, during and after the birth of their child. new child.
- Nudi Wear – Kaneohe, Hawaii ($5,000): A sportswear manufacturer developed with the sustainability of our oceans in mind that also shares a percentage of its profits with organizations that preserve our seas.
- Secret Blessings – Robbinsville, North Carolina ($5,000): A custom inspirational accessories boutique that develops blankets, backpacks, pouches and more with inspirational words or encouraging phrases sewn into the fabric.
- Socks Campaign Socks Socks – Highland Ranch, Colorado ($5,000): A charity that collects socks which it then donates to needy homeless shelters around the denver Metropolitan area.
- Stitchwitch Changes – Santa Barbara, California ($5,000): A seamstress and designer who handles a wide range of sewing projects, from costume alterations and clothing adjustments, as well as home decor items such as pillows, comforters, slipcovers and more.
About Barclays US Consumer Bank
Barclays US Consumer Bank is a leading co-branded credit card issuer and financial services partner in the United States that creates highly customized loyalty and customer loyalty programs for some of the travel, entertainment, retail, retail and nation’s most successful retail and affinity. The bank offers co-branded credit cards, small business credit cards, installment loans, POS financing, online savings accounts and CDs. For more information, please visit BarclaysUS.com.
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of clients and customers, and geographically. Our businesses include worldwide consumer and payment banking operations, as well as a leading, full-service global corporate and investment bank, all of which are backed by our services company which provides the technology, operations and functional services across the Group. For more information about Barclays, please visit barclays.com.